I’m often looking for different ways to prepare vegetables because truthfully, there are many days that dinner might be the only meal my kids eat their veggies. This recipe is based on a Grilled Carrot Salad recipe from Chef Bryce Gilmore. The roasted carrots are the centerpiece of the dish and the accompanying Brown Butter Vinaigrette is incredible. For a vegan option, feel free to replace the butter with olive oil but I love the nutty flavor the butter imparts on the dish. The original version uses almonds which I replaced with pumpkin seeds for my nut-allergic son. The smoky marinade on the carrots adds bold flavor that makes me not miss the meat and the simple preparation of the couscous rounds out the meal beautifully.
Prep time: 45 min – Cook time: 40 min
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon ground fennel 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon ground coriander 2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced flaky sea salt and freshly ground
4 thyme sprigs black pepper
2 pounds baby carrots
1 box couscous (or 2 cups uncooked)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1/3 cup raisins
2 cups water or broth
1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
flaky sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1 bunch chives, chopped
- In a bowl, combine olive oil, paprika, fennel, coriander, garlic and thyme. Place carrots one a baking pan and pour marinade over, coating well. Let sit for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake carrots in oven, stirring occasionally for 30-45 minutes, until carrots are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, cook the butter over moderate heat until lightly browned and
smells nutty, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Scrape the butter and solids into a blender. Add the vinegar, water and 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a medium size saucepan. Add chopped onions and sauté until translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add raisins, chickpeas and water or broth and bring to a boil. Add couscous, cover and remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- To serve, spoon couscous onto plates. Top with roasted carrots and garnish with chives and micro greens. Drizzle Browned Butter Vinaigrette over dish and serve immediately.